Recruiting, training and managing volunteers, no matter how many your organization has, probably takes a chunk of your time.
The people at Meals on Wheels figured that out when they tried to do the whole process manually:
“The process consisted of countless spreadsheets, paper sign-ins, phone calls, and tools in order to be sustainable. It was organized chaos and required a substantial time commitment to run effectively,”
The solution is a tool that can help you register, schedule, and communicate with your network of volunteers by storing contact information, a participant’s history, their availability, and more.
There are so many tools that can help you manage your volunteers, we know it’s hard to find one that’s right for your nonprofit’s needs.
You need a volunteer management software that’s:
- Easy for your volunteers to use.
- Lets you view a report of volunteer activity.
- Fits your budget.
These are our picks for the best volunteer management tools to fit your nonprofit needs.
NationBuilder provides nonprofit organizations with the tools required to build websites, move volunteers to action, manage events, and raise funds.
It also lets you schedule shifts, run background checks, conduct volunteer reviews and build reports on all volunteer activities. Along with the ability to send out emails, integrations with tools like CallHub also let you manage volunteer communication.
- Schedule text messages or calls to go out in advance before a shift or reach out to volunteers with campaign updates.
- Customizable pages to engage volunteers
Starts at starting at $29/month.
Ivolunteer helps nonprofits sign-up and manage volunteer scheduling. The tool provides customizable, reusable sign-up sheets.
You can publish the forms via your website, email, Facebook, or Twitter. It also sends automated email reminders and provides reports on volunteer activities. It‘s a scalable and affordable solution that can be used to run events, both large and small.
- Record attendance in real-time on the web or manually with the sign-in reports.
- Easy volunteer sign-ups, no user ID’s or passwords
The tool offers three plans: a free plan, a standard plan, and a premium plan.
Standard plan – $20/month
Premium plan – $175/6 months
Volgistics is an online volunteer management software that allows organizers to register, schedule, manage and communicate with their volunteers. Since it’s a browser-based tool, there are no installs or downloads needed.
Volunteers can submit their shift preferences or schedule it themselves. The tool helps you keep records of your current and past volunteers and communicate with them via email or text message.
They cite over 6.5 million volunteers tracked.
- Create custom reports with an easy-to-use interface
- Let volunteers view opportunities and submit applications through your website
- Schedule reminders to volunteers through text or email
Pricing scales based on the size of your organization’s volunteer community, starting at $9/month.
Action Network is an organizing tool that can be used to recruit and organize volunteers both online and offline. The tool can also be used to fundraise while enabling your nonprofit to create different types of activities, roles, and track the work done.
Dynamic integrations with tools like CallHub makes running campaigns and communicating with your volunteers so much easier. You can make phone calls or send texts to remind and keep volunteers updated with your campaign. As such, Action Network’s functionalities go beyond a simple volunteer management platform.
- Build an automation ladder to move volunteers and activists through when they subscribe or take an action.
Based on the size of your organization.
VolunteerHub covers everything from recruitment, registration, management, and communication of volunteers. Organizers can use it to increase event participation by empowering volunteers to view and sign up for events.
- Organize teams for specific events based on their location, interests, skills, etc.
- Reports and insights on volunteer activity
Starts at $69 per month.
VolunteerMark is a volunteer management software created with the goal of simplifying the way organizations run a volunteer program. With VolunteerMark, you can recruit and manage volunteers, schedule volunteering opportunities, and manage events and volunteers through the dashboard.
- Simplify communication with volunteers
- Recruit and manage volunteers
- Schedule volunteering opportunities
- Easy and elegant event sign up views
- Best in class management dashboard for events and volunteers
There is a free plan for up to 50 volunteers.
For the paid plans, you can opt to pay yearly or monthly. The plans start from:
Basic at $34/month
Essential at $75/month
Royale at $125/month
eCoordinator (from Samaritan Technologies)
eCoordinator can be used to recruit, manage, and measure tasks done by your volunteers. The management system comes with a built-in background check, reference check, e-campaign support, and survey tools. It helps organizers manage and grow their volunteer programs with products to match their changing needs.
- Automate emails to volunteers
- Embed registration forms on your website
- Track volunteer hours through analytics
You can either use the free account or premium account which starts at $208/month.
SignUp is a web-based volunteer management platform. The software simplifies the coordination of big and small volunteer groups.
Organize volunteer activities by creating a volunteer calendar
Collect contributions and send alerts and updates to volunteers
The pricing is as follows:
Basic plan is Free
Starter at $9.99 / per month
Plus at $24.99 / per month
Max at $49.99 / per month
Campus at $99 / year
VolunteerLocal is a cloud-based scheduling solution that helps nonprofit organizations organize, manage, schedule and communicate with volunteers.
Its key features include real-time reporting, volunteer data collection, and onsite check-in. The tool also helps with contacting volunteers in order to update them about events or tasks.
- The real-time reporting feature to help you review jobs and shifts
- Re-assign, blacklist or remove volunteers
- Modify security settings to grant role-based access to employees
You can choose from three plans: discover plan at $200/event or $600/year, grow plan is $800/event or $2,400/year, and conquer plan is $3,000/event or $10,000/year.
All of their plans include unlimited jobs, unlimited shifts, and unlimited volunteers.
Track It Forward
The Track It Forward platform allows for volunteers to track their own hours with a simple-to-use tool.
- Integration with your website for embedded time tracking and volunteer registration
- Event scheduling, with time tracking for each event
- Instant graphs and customize reports
They have multiple pricing options:
A free plan for up to 25 volunteers
Basic tracking at $12 per 100 volunteers/month
Premium tracking at $24 per 100 volunteers/month
A custom plan
Timecounts is a cloud-based volunteer management solution with flexible tools.
You can create beautiful event pages, assign shift schedules, and applications with this tool. You can store your supporter information into a smart directory with profile cards which will help your volunteers make calls. It also lets you
- Organize events, orientations, signups, ongoing schedules, and assignments.
- Auto confirmations and reminders are sent to volunteers to make scheduling a breeze.
They have four options to choose from:
A free plan
A premium plan at $50/month
A growth plan at $125/month
An enterprise plan for a custom solution
Better Impact offers a volunteer management database system for non-profits, small and large. They have customizable volunteer and organization profiles, and an easy to use interface. They serve nonprofits and government agencies with 50 -150,000 volunteers.
- Flexible scheduling and conditions to control who can do what
- Targeted email and text communications with volunteers
They have multiple pricing options, with the standard edition starting at $8 and the enterprise editions starting at $12.75.
DonorPerfect is a comprehensive solution for nonprofits seeking donor, fundraising, and volunteer management.
The volunteer-specific features of the tool include assignment and skill tracking, hours served, and solicitation reports. Apart from that, the tool is best suited for fundraising. It helps you manage gifts and pledges, campaigns, donor retention, emails, and event registration.
- An all in one platform if you want additional capabilities for fundraising and donor engagement
DonorPerfect offers pricing packages to meet organizations of any size and any budget.
Lite at $89 per month
Express at $159 per month
Essentials at $289 per month
Premier at $479 per month
Enterprise at $799 per month
YourVolunteers is a free cloud-based volunteer management solution.
Its features include scheduling, engaging, and tracking services that have been used by more than 6,000 nonprofit organizations worldwide.
- Volunteers can log their hours worked when they do not have scheduled times to work
- Create shifts for your volunteers to choose from, or find those who who are available for a shift and assign it to them
The premium account is priced at $20/month.
A volunteer management software helps nonprofits recruit, engage, and retain volunteers. Using any of these tools will help you build a positive volunteer experience. Hopefully, this article gave you a head start when it comes to choosing the tool that suits your organization best.Tags: volunteer management software